Saturday, November 21, 2015

Re-Construction Update on the FUN Lines

As many of you have noticed in my recent videos, my model railroad the FUN Lines (Fantasia, Utopia and Northern) is undergoing a remodel. Here's a little bit about my layout and future plans.

Layout Design

The overall footprint of the FUN Lines is a 12' x 8' "L" shape. In fact, it is constructed of two 4' x 8' sections with a small 2' x 4' outcropping. My current effort is actually the fifth layout to occupy this benchwork - in three different buildings - over the past eighteen years. It began life as a Christmas display in a retail store.

There are currently two main lines, with a third planned. The outside main follows the perimeter of the benchwork and features O42 (42" diameter) minimum curves. The inside main is a simple oval with a diagonal reversing line featuring a mix of O27 (27" diameter) and O34 (34" diameter) curves. The O34 curves were made by Marx in the 1950's-1960's. Several industrial spurs are planned on this inner loop. These two loops are connected with two sets of crossovers to allow trains to move back and forth between them.

The third line - not yet constructed - will begin as a spur off of the middle loop. It will then loop around the "L" shaped portion of the layout and climb up to an upper line, crossing over the middle oval via a Lionel drawbridge from the 1970's. This upper line will be a loop-to-loop design featuring a mix of O27 and O42 curves.

Track Choices

There are many wonderful and realistic track systems available from today's manufacturers and the modeler is faced with the dilemma of this choice. My choice was to avoid them all and stick with O27 profile tubular track. Why? First it was an inexpensive choice because I already had lots of it on hand. I have accumulated both Postwar (1946-1969) Lionel pieces, Lionel MPC (1970-1986) pieces, Marx and even K-Line tubular track. All of them work interchangeably, although some Marx straight pieces measure 10" in length instead of the customary 8 1/2" of the other brands. Also, replacement tubular track may be found inexpensively at almost any train show or meet, and even on eBay (but be careful of shipping costs).

I use O27 profile track as opposed to traditional O31 "O Gauge" track because I like the smaller rail height, which I think is more realistic, and because it is cheaper and more abundant than the larger-railed standard O31 track. I say "O27 profile" because while the standard curve diameter is 27", track with this rail type is also available in 34", 42", 54" and even 72" diameter pieces. These larger radii are becoming more difficult to find, however.

Turnouts (Switches)

The area where my railroad deviates most from common practice is my choice of turnouts (or switches, as they are commonly called). I use Marx old-style metal O27 turnouts thoughout my layout. First, I choose them for compatibility with other trains. All Marx trains and nearly all Lionel and other manufacturers will run though Marx turnouts without major issues - and the minor issues can be fixed with a 5-minute modification. Many believe that Lionel locomotives absolutely will not run through Marx switches - this is FALSE. My Lionel trains do it every time I operate my layout. However, most Marx and some prewar Lionel and American Flyer O gauge trains will NOT run through Lionel turnouts or those of other modern production.

Second, I find trains run over the frogless Marx design with fewer bumps, bangs and derailments than with Lionel and other modern turnouts. Modern turnouts have gaps in the rails that are protected by guardrails, but these gaps are opportunities for wayward cars to derail - especially when backing or at extreme speeds.

Third, these old Marx switches are a great bargain. They are durable, reliable and cheap. I often find powered turnouts for as little as $10 a pair.

A note of caution: I use the Marx metal switch design - NOT THE PLASTIC. I have found the later production Marx plastic turnouts to be unreliable for use with Lionel and other trains.

More To Come...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment