Thursday, December 3, 2015

Tip: Remote Emergency Power Shutoff

More and more often I find that my own "little engineers" and their neighborhood friends want to enjoy some time at the throttle of my under-construction O27 layout. When I know in advance that the kids are coming its easy enough to power up and inexpensive Marx or Lionel starter set on the main lines for the little ones to enjoy. But what about those times when I am enjoying "grandpa's" prized postwar passenger set when the little ones arrive? How can I let them play engineer without fear of my train becoming a very expensive pile of junk on the basement floor?

Luckily, I have found a simple, quick and cheap (my specialty!) device that lets the little ones manage the throttle while I inconspicuously man the Panic Button from anywhere in the room. It is a 3-channel remote-control power switch that is designed for use with holiday lighting displays. It allows me to control three separate circuits remotely. I have Channel 1 plugged into the multi-plug that operates the overhead lights. Channel 2 is plugged into the multi-plug that powers all of the transformers on the layout. Channel 3 is currently empty, but I am sure I will find a use for it sometime.



Look for these where you buy Christmas lights, and especially after Christmas when they will go on clearance!

No comments:

Post a Comment